Tampa News Monday, February 12
Tampa News TLDR / Table of Contents
- Hooper: It’s possible to protect gun rights while protecting against mass shootings
- Columbine. Blacksburg. Newtown. Charleston. San Bernadino. Orlando. Las Vegas. Sutherland Springs.Whether it’s the 1999 massacre at a Colorado high school, the 2007 murders on the Virginia Te
- mass shootings, U.S. school shootings, right-minded gun owners, sad roll, gun restrictions
- They sold everything and bought a boat to sail the world. It sank on day two.
- Broadwell, Tanner Broadwell, Walsh, Tarpon Springs, Nikki Walsh
- Lightning a little ashamed’ it has to depend on Vasilevskiy so much
- The good news from Saturday is that the Lightning won, beating the Kings 4-3 at Amalie Arena.The bad news is that Tampa Bay (38-14-3) needed another herculean effort by goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy to p
- goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy, defenseman Anton Stralman, coach Jon Cooper, dressing room door, 4-1 lead
- Laksa’s 41 points lead USF women to upset of Buckeyes
- For the better part of 40 breathtaking minutes Sunday afternoon, unranked USF’s aspirations of hosting an NCAA Tournament opening weekend and playing into the second weekend didn’t seem far-flung.But
- Bulls coach Jose, NCAA Tournament opening, Bulls senior Maria, Sun Dome crowd, baskets Kitija Laksa
- Wash your stinkin’ hands’: Florida nurse’s flu horror stories go viral (w/ video)
- A Florida hospital nurse is mad as heck and shes not going to take it anymore.So what has gotten Escambia County nurse Katherine Lockler so frustrated?Parents or coaches who bring their healthy kids
- flu, flu season, ER, funky flu, stressed ER nurses
- Can we talk for a second about Andrei Vasilevskiy’s ridiculous behind-the-back save?
- Saturday night, Lightning goaltender Andrei, Lightning captain Steven, Kings Saturday night., sellout Amalie Arena
- Nurse calls out sick with flu, then gets fired for violating hospital’s attendance policy
- A nurse in Ohio says she is now out of a job after deciding she was too sick to work.
- Christmas Theresa Puckett, time off–like vacation, flu season, non-approved absences, RICHMOND HEIGHTS
- Florida Polytechnic garden serves low-income communities
- Some of the plants are used for research. The rest of the produce is donated to students and to people living in impoverished communities like Eloise.
- Florida Polytechnic University, two-time stroke survivor, gleaning table, Butler, Beverly Butler
Tweeted At: Thu Feb 01 22:34:00 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-01T07:00:00+00:00
Author: Ernest Hooper
- Whether its the 1999 massacre at a Colorado high school, the 2007 murders on the Virginia Tech campus or the senseless 2016 shooting of partiers at the Pulse Night Club and all the horrific scenes in between we continue to add to the sad roll call of cities struck by…
- Yes, some right-minded gun owners have saved lives, but the mass shootings outnumber those heroic instances.
- Surveys consistently show that most Americans including gun owners and NRA members support limiting access to guns for people with mental illnesses and individuals who are on the federal no-fly or watch lists.
- The League of Women Voters recently convened a panel to illuminate the issues and explain the work of its Florida Coalition to Prevent Gun Violence, formed after the Pulse shootings in 2016.
- Groups like the coalition and Moms Demand Action have played defense in Tallahassee, fighting against laws that would allow for open carry around the state, and allow guns, with concealed and carry permits, on schools and college campuses.
Tweeted At: Mon Feb 12 12:09:51 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-09T14:00:00+00:00
Author: Jamal Thalji
- MADEIRA BEACH Tanner Broadwell and Nikki Walsh dreamed the same dream: Give up the rat race, go live on a sailboat, see the Caribbean, maybe the world.
- Last year they bought a 28-foot sailboat in Alabama and headed for Tarpon Springs.
- Tanner Broadwell, 26, and Nikki Walsh, 24, sold everything they had in Colorado, bought an old sailboat and set out to sail around the Caribbean with their 2-year-old Pug, Remy.
- FROM TIMES FILES:Murky waters: Chartering the wrong boat can have tragic consequences (Nov. 23, 2017) Waves rolled the sailboat.
- CASINO BOAT FIRE:Mother of two, 42, identified as casualty after Port Richey boat fire (Jan. 15, 2018) They lost everything save for the shirts on their backs well, one shirt.
Tweeted At: Sun Feb 11 16:09:41 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-11T08:00:00+00:00
Author: Joe Smith
- The good news from Saturday is that the Lightning won, beating the Kings 4-3 at Amalie Arena.
- Los Angeles dominated the third period, outshooting the Lightning 20-4, rallying from a three-goal deficit to make it one.
- That’s the third time in the past two weeks the Lightning has faded in the third period, including almost blowing a large lead Feb. 4 in Vancouver.
- What makes us a team that can learn is, we can make plays, but there’s a time when you stop making plays and lock a game down, coach Jon Cooper said.
- The Lightning did find a way to win, and extend its lead in the Atlantic Division to five points over the Bruins, which lost Saturday.
Tweeted At: Sun Feb 11 21:43:48 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-11T16:00:00+00:00
Author: Joey Knight
- The 6-foot junior from Latvia scored a career-high 41 points hitting eight of 13 3-pointers to lead the Bulls to a nationally televised 84-65 embarrassment of No. 13 Ohio State before an announced Sun Dome crowd of 2,852.
- She drained the game’s first shot a 3-pointer and had 18 points after one quarter, by which time the Bulls had built a 31-13 lead.
- Meantime, the Bulls mostly neutralized Buckeyes senior guard Kelsey Mitchell, the NCAA’s career leader in 3-pointers and Big Ten’s all-time scoring leader.
- Guarded primarily by 5-foot-11 veteran Laura Ferreira, Mitchell finished with 19 points more than five below her season average and hit only two of eight 3-pointers.
- We don’t win without (Ferreira), said Bulls senior Maria Jespersen, who notched her 13th double-double of the season (20 points, 14 rebounds).
Tweeted At: Sun Feb 11 22:30:01 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-11T11:05:00+00:00
Author: Wilson More
- How in the world did Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy stop this puck?
- #LAKvsTBL pic.twitter.com/hP3XpqomTB Tampa Bay Lightning (@TBLightning) February 11, 2018Not even Vasilevskiy had the answers.
- Quick Strikes: Andrei Vasilevskiy steals the show on #VL4 night in Tam… #TBLightning https://t.co/ZS8HgYIWry pic.twitter.com/EXmRobPYWf Lightning Report (@lightning_fanly) February 11, 2018Let’s just get one more look at the save.
- Andrei Vasilevskiy is a professional goaltender for the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- Still,the behind-the-back blockbuster was just one of the 44 savesVasilevskiy madeSaturday night in a heroic overall performance.
Tweeted At: Sun Feb 11 10:45:15 +0000 2018
Publish Date: 2018-02-03T15:21:26+00:00
- We know this flu season is worse than normal, and when one fill-in nurse at University Hospitals said she was too sick to work two times over the course of a few days, it violated hospital policy.
- That led to another sick day, opening her up to being fired because of UHs policy that temporary nurses called PRNs, like Theresa, may be dismissed after two non-approved absences over 60-days.
- UH has a no-faultattendance policy, where the hospital says notes from a physician do not excuse an occurrence of absence.
- The policy says only approved leaves of absence, workplace illnesses or injuries, scheduled paid time offlike vacation time or doctors appointmentsor jury duty or bereavement leave are considered excused.
- That means even Theresas note from her own doctor saying she shouldnt interact with people who are already sick wasnt enough.
Tweeted At: Sun Feb 11 23:36:59 +0000 2018
- Beverly Butler runs the organic garden at the university.
- There, Butler has a gleaning table, always full of free produce for the community.
- Butler also helped start a community garden in Eloise.
- The produce from both gardens is usually sitting on the gleaning table.
- Butler said the university is in the process of expanding its 24-bed garden.