Lakeland commission to vote on medical marijuana moratorium
- Lakeland city commission to vote on marijuana moratorium
- WEATHER: LIVE Klystron 9 radar | Get Bay News 9+ app | Sign up for news alerts
- Lakeland commission to vote on medical marijuana moratorium
- The city of Lakeland is discussing a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries.
- Upload pictures to Bay News 9 from the app
The city of Lakeland is discussing a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries. Commissioners will vote on the measure Tuesday.
@BN9: Lakeland discussing a moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries. Commissioners to vote.
City officials said the idea is to review the issue, not to abolish, the measure put in place by voters with Amendment 2.
Lakeland city commissioners said they are waiting on the state legislature and Department of Health to clarify all of the rules regarding medical marijuana usage.
Today, commissioners will vote on enacting a 90-day moratorium.
Several Florida cities are dealing with the same issue and putting moratoriums in place. Manatee and Hillsborough counties have created a six-month moratorium.
Lakeland has been under a temporary ban on medical marijuana dispensaries opening since December. At that time, city lawmakers said they wanted to wait to open any dispensaries until they have specific guidelines from the state.
In the meantime, Lakeland city officials will have to decide how to treat the dispensaries and where they’ll be allowed to be in the city.
There will be time for public comments at today’s commission meeting at 9 a.m.