Orlando man wanted in slaying of ex-girlfriend and police officer finally captured
- Orlando officer shot, killed; suspect on the run Manhunt reaches second day for Orlando suspect Orlando holds vigil for fallen officer Niece of suspected Orlando shooter arrested Manhunt continues for Orlando police shooter Marshals add Markeith Loyd to most wanted list
- Orlando Police said Tuesday that Loyd may have shaved his head.
- VIDEO: Police discuss capture of Loyd.
- The weeklong manhunt for a man wanted in the fatal shooting of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and an Orlando police officer has come to an end.
- Orlando man wanted in slaying of ex-girlfriend and police officer finally captured
The weeklong manhunt for a man wanted in the fatal shooting of his pregnant ex-girlfriend and an Orlando police officer has come to an end.
@abcactionnews: ICYMI | Markeith Loyd has been captured by Orlando PD. Full Story:
ORLANDO, Fla. – A suspect in the fatal shooting of an Orlando police officer was captured Tuesday after a weeklong manhunt, authorities said.
The Orlando Police Department tweeted Tuesday night that 41-year-old Markeith Loyd was in custody, ending a manhunt that began with the Jan. 9 fatal shooting of Master Sgt. Debra Clayton outside a Wal-Mart store.
Local television stations showed Loyd had a bloodied face when a half-dozen officers and deputies took him into police headquarters.
Orlando Police Chief John Mina tweeted, “Captured and wearing Lt. Debra Clayton’s handcuffs.” Clayton was promoted posthumously to the rank of lieutenant.
Before Clayton’s shooting, authorities had sought Loyd for questioning in the killing of his pregnant ex-girlfriend last month.
While at the store, Clayton was tipped off that Loyd was in the area. She approached him in the parking lot and he filed multiple shots at her. Clayton returned fire but didn’t hit him. She was wearing body armor, but was hit multiple times, Orlando Police Chief John Mina said.
A deputy then spotted Loyd fleeing in a vehicle and pursued him into a nearby apartment complex, where the suspect fired again, striking the deputy’s SUV twice but missing the deputy, the sheriff’s office said.
Loyd then carjacked another vehicle and fled, abandoning the second vehicle nearby another apartment complex, which was the focus of the manhunt initially, the sheriff’s office said.
A second law enforcement officer, Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy First Class Norman Lewis, was killed in a motorcycle crash after joining the massive manhunt.
Hundreds of officers and deputies have been searching for Loyd, and a $100,000 reward was being offered for information that leads to his arrest.
The U.S. Marshals Service had added Loyd to its list of most wanted fugitives Tuesday and added $25,000 to the reward offer.
Orlando Police said Tuesday that Loyd may have shaved his head. They posted a digitally altered photo of what he might look like without hair.
Clayton, 42, was a “committed” officer and “a hero” who gave her life to the community she loves, her chief said. She was married and had a college-aged son. She also grew up in the Orlando area, and enjoyed mentoring young people.
“She was always the first to step up and help kids,” the chief said.
A 17-year veteran of the force, Clayton supervised a patrol division in the neighborhood where she was shot, and previously worked in investigations and as a school resource officer, Deputy Chief Orlando Rolon said.
“She made a point, even outside her working hours, to do things for youth and do things for the community,” Rolon said.
VIDEO: Police discuss capture of Loyd.
Following the capture of Markeith Loyd by the Orlando Police Department, Governor Rick Scott released the following statement:
“I want to thank the Orlando Police Department, the Orange County Sheriff’s Department and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for their unrelenting focus to find the person responsible for multiple deaths, including two honorable law enforcement heroes, Orlando Police Department Lieutenant Deborah Clayton and Orange County Sheriff’s Deputy Norman Lewis. Local, state and federal law enforcement have been working around the clock to capture the suspect to ensure no other innocent people were harmed and he will now be held to the fullest extent of the law. It is sickening that anyone would commit senseless violence against our brave first responders. Ann and I continue to pray for the families of the fallen heroes and hope today’s news provides some relief.”
Stay in touch with us anytime, anywhere.
Download our free app for Apple and Android and Kindle devices.
Sign up for newsletters emailed to your inbox.
Follow us on Twitter