7-vehicle crash, including 3 semi-trucks, shuts down SR 60 in Polk
- WEATHER: LIVE Klystron 9 radar | Get Bay News 9+ app | Sign up for news alerts
- 7-vehicle crash, including 3 semi-trucks, shuts down SR 60 in Polk
- Two semi tractor-trailers were traveling westbound on SR 60 East when, for an unknown reason, the second semi rear-ended the first.
- Upload pictures to Bay News 9 from the app
- The driver of the jackknifed semi and the third semi were transported to Winter Haven Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
A semi-truck that rear-ended another semi, caused a chain collision on SR 60 in Polk Wednesday morning.
@BN9: 7-vehicle crash, including 3 semi trucks, shuts down SR 60 in Polk.
State Road 60 East in Lake Wales is shut down due to an accident involving seven vehicles, according to officials.
The accident occurred around 6 a.m. Wednesday on SR 60 East near Logistics Parkway.
Two semi tractor-trailers were traveling westbound on SR 60 East when, for an unknown reason, the second semi rear-ended the first. The collision caused the 2nd semi to jackknife in the roadway.
The crash caused a chain collision with three other vehicles traveling behind them.
An SUV was unable to avoid the jackknifed semi and crashed into it. The SUV was then hit by a pickup truck and another semi.
According to the report, when the SUV hit the jackknifed semi, it caused barrels of liquid to fall from the trailer and travel into the eastbound lanes of SR 60 East, striking two vehicles.
Officials reported no other people injured.
State Road 60 East is shut down in the area and drivers are asked to avoid the area.
The investigation is ongoing.